Thursday, January 31, 2008

Birthday Cake

OK Folks - - February is big on birthdays around these parts. Nearly 50% of my immediate family has birthdays this month. David, Eric, Me, Carol and Philip all in February, and a close call with Dan and Renay in March . Carol used to make a strawberry cake from the old timey Betty Crocker Cookbook for Boys and Girls (the recipe is not in the current editions)

It has become a family favorite for David and Eric so I thought I would share it with everyone here. Try it. You will like it. I warn you it is so moist you will eat yourself silly with it, this I know for sure.

1 PKG White Cake Mix
½ Cup oil
1 Small pkg strawberry jello
½ Cup water
3 T Cake Flour
1 pkg froz strawberries (small box) about(1/2 C)
4 Eggs (beat 1 @ a time) why ???? I don’t know
¼ C strawberry juice

BAKE 350 degrees until done

For a 9 x 12 pan I set for timer for 45 minutes and keep checking it every 10 minutes until done and I want to say it takes and hour and 15 mintues – but don’t quote me on that ….. keep doing the toothpick check for yourself

FROSTING:
½ pkg frozen strawberries w/ juice *
1 stick margarine or butter
1 box powder sugar
Beat until smooth…….
THIS MAKES A LOT OF FROSTING - - I usually cut it in half and have plenty to ice a 9x13 cake and not be skimpy
* with the strawberries – generally I use fresh strawberries. I dice them up – do it as chunky or small as you like. I add a little sugar and refrigerate them overnight. That draws out the juices. For the cake you need about ½ C diced strawberries and for the icing about ¼ Cup.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That cake = Catnip.

Me = Cat.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!

The cake sounds fabulous, I'll definitely give it a try sometime soon.